Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Animation Work Out 3

Things are moving along with the job search but until I have any news on that front I show you this test I've been working on. Spacing has been a difficult thing for me to really understand. A lot of times my spacing suffers from being a bit two harsh. Especially my transitions from pose to pose pop a little too much. It's something I've been trying to improve and something I've been trying to remedy during my 2D practice time. I recently had a revelation when looking over my notes from AM when I saw this...


I found this neat spacing trick on some animators blog but I can't remember where it was from. If somebody knows who did this let me know so I can credit them. Anyways I believe my spacing problem might be occurring during the blocking stage and not during the transition from blocking to splines. So I pulled out the old wacom tablet and did this test. For those non animators out there the bottom circle/ball thingie has slightly different spacing when it starts and stops which feels much smoother to me. And if these drawings where cleaned up you could see and feel the difference even more.


1 comment:

David Martinez said...

Hey Jake!

That's an interesting post. For some reason, every time that I've been doing 2D or planning for my 3D, I've been dividing by 2 instead of 3.

The difference looks nice and indeed more smooth.

The thing here is that even though that I've initially done the division by 2, some times, I've forced myself to tweak the position of it just to make it feel right.

I will try to experiment a little bit with it though and see how it feels.

Keep the great posts coming man!

Take Care

D