Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Lazy Sunday

I had a rare relaxed Sunday. It was great. They don't happen too often any more so I made sure to take full advantage of it. I took a nap, surfed the web, watched some Youtube painting tutorials, and I did some painting.

I've recently discovered sketch cards. Sketch cards are original art non sport trading cards. Topps with their line of Star Wars trading cards commissions a bunch of artist to draw their own version of the popular Star Wars characters on trading card size paper. Then they insert one of those drawings (not a copy or a reprint but the original art) in 1 out of every 25 or so trading card packs. So when the lucky collector opens up his pack, surprise! He is the proud owner of an original piece of art. I thought it would be fun to do some of my own sketch cards.

I decided to start out with Aang the main character from the cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Avatar is my favorite TV show going right now. It is so well written, smart, and the attention to detail is amazing for a "kids" show or any TV show. If you like Samuri Jack or Martial Arts or just quality animation you'll probably really enjoy Avatar.

For my next sketch card I'll probably take a slightly different approach to help speed up the process, but I'm happy how it turned out. I did this one in acrylic and I did another version in watercolor. The watercolor version was a disaster. I hated how the colors came out. I still have some learning to do with watercolors.

No comments: