Friday, March 21, 2008

Morning Sketches

Here's a page out of one of my sketch books. I've been warming up every morning with 10 minutes of life drawing. It's a slow process but I've notice that my drawing skills are getting better.

I've noticed that my sketch book habits are a lot like my reading habits. At any given time I'll be reading 4 or 5 books. Right now I'm reading G.K. Chesterson's Orthodoxy, Lewis Trondheim and Joann Sfar's Dungeon Volume 1: Duck Heart, J.R.R. Tolkien's Two Towers, and Gary Faigin's The Artist Complete Guide to Facial Expressions. When it comes to sketch books I got a 3.5"x5.5" Moleskine that I use to record story ideas in, a spiral bound 5.5"x8.5" Strathmore Sketch that use as my portable go anywhere sketch pad, a hard cover book bound 8.5"x11" Utrecht that I think of as "my sketch book" where most of my doodling go, and a spiral bound 9"x12" Strathmore Drawing that I do most of my life drawing and "practicing" in. Of course that isn't counting the sketch pad the paper I'm using to draw Louie comes from. (I'm on page 47 out 200 now!) Or the 9"x12" Utrecht Sketch pad that I mistakenly purchased, I thought was book bound but it wasn't. I use that one as scratch paper.

I guess I'm the type of person that likes to have a lot of projects going at one time. It helps me stay interested and see the projects I'm working on with a fresh eye. At least that's my excuse. What's yours?

No comments: